Choices for Youth is a dynamic, progressive youth-focused organization that continually strives to improve the quality of service so as to enhance young people’s lives and enable them to meet their goals.
A Community-based, not-for-profit organization which provides youth with a range of supportive housing options, access to a variety of services that promote healthy personal development and a sense of belonging within an environment of respect, tolerance, peace and equality.
Based on the empowerment philosophy, the operating principles of Choices for Youth state that: programming must meet the needs of young people, promote flexibility and innovative responses, and be designed and evaluated in partnership with them.
Choices has a primary mandate to work with youth who have experienced, and continue to experience, substantial barriers and trauma in their lives, including:
- breakdowns in family situations
- lack of safe / supportive environments
- ongoing experiences with the justice system
- impact of FASD, learning disabilities, mental health issues
- anger issues and violent behaviour
- sense of isolation from the community
- lack of attachment to stabilizing influences in their lives
- academic difficulties or alienation from the educational system
- inability to find or maintain employment
- lack of opportunity/role models in making healthy life choices
- drug and alcohol abuse / addictions
- experiences with prostitution and other high risk behaviours
Choices is a nonprofit, charitable, community-based agency that provides housing and lifestyle development supports to youth in the St. John’s metro area.